SPIE Student Chapter at Montana State University
SPIE is a not-for-profit international professional society for optics and photonics technology, founded in 1955. It organizes technical conferences, trade exhibitions, and continuing education programs for researchers and developers in the light-based fields of physics, including, but not limited to: optics, photonics, and related sciences and engineering.
Meetings & Events
Our chapter holds meetings monthly. Typically, we have a colloquium followed by a meeting to discuss chapter business or events. Speakers may include local business representatives from area optics and photonics companies, student talks on research or topics of interest, and more. Refreshments are always served! This semester we will be doing pizza.
In addition to our monthly meetings, we also host events each month. Typical events may include invited guest speakers, participating in area science outreach (such as the Science Olympiad for middle schoolers), and local company tours. In addition, we also are listing OpTec Colloquiums, which may interest members who would like to learn more about current optics and photonics research happening around the world. These colloquium speakers are invited by MSU faculty and speak on the research they do. These are catered events, as well.
Fall 2017 Schedule
- Wednesday, September 13, 2017, 5:00-6:30 PM
- What: Tour
- Where: Spectrum Lab
- Speaker/Host: Dr. Zeb Barber, Director of Spectrum Lab (email@example.com)
- Topic: SPIE will be given a tour of Spectrum Lab. Spectrum Lab is a research lab at MSU that focuses on emerging opto-electronic technologies. For more information about Spectrum Lab, visit their website.
- NOTE: This tour will be on location at Spectrum Lab. We will meet in front of Barnard Hall (formerly EPS) around 5:00 PM and will walk over as a group. If you are going to be late, send us an email. Please, join us!
- Walking directions from SUB
- Wednesday, September 06, 2017, 5:00-6:00 PM
- What: Meeting
- Where: 330 Cobleigh (Lloyd Berg conference room)
- Topic: Introductory organizational meeting. Will be discussing SPIE and what it can do for you, as well as new openings for officer positions.